This is the latest evolution of our serial LCD. Included on a single board is a 20x4 LCD and an embedded circuit based around a PIC 16F88. The on-board PIC takes a TTL serial input and prints the characters it receives onto the LCD. The installed firmware also allows for a number of special commands so you can clear the screen, adjust the backlight brightness, turn the display on/off, and more.
Communication with SerLCD requires 5V TTL serial at a default baud rate of 9600bps (8-N-1). You can adjust the baud to any standard rate between 2400 and 38400bps. The power (VDD), ground (GND) and RX pins are all broken out to both a 0.1" pitch header as well as a 3-pin JST connector.
SerLCD has the ability to dim the backlight to conserve power if needed. There is also a potentiometer on the back of the display to adjust the contrast.
This LCD makes for a great gift, because it can be used for so many different projects! For more gift ideas check out the SparkFun Gift Guide
- Embedded PIC 16F88 utilizes onboard UART for greater communication accuracy
- 20x4 Black on Green LCD
- Adjustable baud rates of 2400, 4800, 9600 (default), 14400, 19200 and 38400
- Operational Backspace
- Greater processing speed at 10MHz
- Incoming buffer stores up to 80 characters
- Backlight transistor can handle up to 1A
- Pulse width modulation of backlight allows direct control of backlight brightness and current consumption
- All surface mount design allows a backpack that is half the size of the original
- Faster boot-up time
- Boot-up display can be turned on/off via firmware
- User definable splash screen
- PCB: 105 x 59.9 mm
- LCD: 87.3 x 41.8 mm