The latest and greatest MP3 decoding from VLSI. The VS1033 is a single-chip MP3/AAC/WMA/MIDI audio decoder and ADPCM encoder. It contains a high-performance, proprietary low-power DSP processor core VS_DSP4, working data memory, 5 KiB instruction RAM and 0.5 KiB data RAM for user applications, serial control and input data interfaces, upto 8 general purpose I/O pins, an UART, as well as a high-quality variable-sample-rate mono ADC and stereo DAC, followed by an earphone amplifier and a common buffer.
VS1033 features special Headphone Sound Externalization feature (EarSpeaker) that processes the decoded audio to provide more natural sound in headphone listening conditions. It widens the stereo image and positions the sound sources outside the listener's head.
VS1033 receives its input bitstream through a serial input bus, which it listens to as a system slave. The input stream is decoded and passed through a digital volume control to an 18-bit oversampling, multi-bit, sigma-delta DAC. The decoding is controlled via a serial control bus. In addition to the basic decoding, it is possible to add application specific features, like DSP effects, to the user RAM memory.
Available in a LQFP-48 pin package.
- Decodes MPEG 1 2 audio layer III (CBR +VBR +ABR); layers I II optional
- MPEG4 / 2 AAC-LC-126.96.36.199 (+PNS)
- WMA4.0/4.1/7/8/9 all profiles (5-384 kbps)
- WAV (PCM + IMA ADPCM)
- General MIDI / SP-MIDI format 0
- Encodes IMA ADPCM from microphone or line input
- Streaming support for MP3 and WAV
- EarSpeaker Spatial Processing
- Bass and treble controls
- Operates with a single clock 12..13 MHz
- Can also be used with 24..26 MHz clocks
- Internal PLL clock multiplier
- Low-power operation
- High-quality on-chip stereo DAC with no phase error between channels
- Stereo earphone driver capable of driving a 30ohm load
- Quiet power-on and power-off
- I2S interface for external DAC
- Separate operating voltages for analog, digital and I/O
- 5.5 KiB On-chip RAM for user code / data
- Serial control and data interfaces
- Can be used as a slave co-processor
- SPI flash boot for special applications
- UART for debugging purposes
- New functions may be added with software and 8 GPIO pins
- Lead-free RoHS-compliant package (Green)