Libelium is offering new technical support channels, to contact with de Technical Support team to solve any issue our doubt please contact with your sales agent or visit our contact site

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Open Garden
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:52 pm 

Will any of your solar module products function indoors with lighting from 600 watt (HPS) high powered sodium or metal halide (MH) lights instead of sunlight?

My plant container is almost 18 inches tall. Instead of using the Soil Moisture Probe for Open Garden, can I use two, long, thin nails made of galvanized or stainless steel, as sensors and connect these to your kit? I believe they would last longer and since my soil is so deep, I could get a better reading on the moisture level down near the bottom of the pot.

I have 20 or more plants in my garden. Can I modify the system so I do not have to use 20 pumps for my plants? It would be nice to have a manifold going to all the plants and just open up a solenoid valve when needed to water each plant.

How effective is 433 MHz for transmitting at distances up to 100 feet, through several standard wooden walls and a 10 inch concrete wall? How well does 433 MHz perform in a high RF interference environment? Interference from light ballasts in a grow room can be substantial.

Post subject: Open Garden Indoor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:32 pm 

For the DHT22 sensor and the soil moisture sensor, can the connecting wires be longer than you provide? I would like to place the solar panel and the humidity/temperature sensor ABOVE the plant and not at soil level. How much longer can they be made? The tops of the plants can be as much as 6 feet above the top of the soil.

I am not sure why one would want the DHT22 sensor and the light sensor near the soil. In my opinion ambient temperature and humidity levels above the plant is much more important that the readings at soil level.

Especially in an indoor grow, the light sensor would be very useful to determining when a bulb should be changed due to lower luminosity levels. the air temperature sensor at the top of the plant would also help keep the light at the proper height so your plant does not get burned.

Post subject: Open Garden Peristaltic pump
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:36 pm 

I noticed you have peristaltic pump connectors on your Open Aquarium board. I would like to use these pumps in my Open Garden project. If I buy peristaltic pumps from you, where would I connect them on the Open Garden Board? Would I have to purchase an Open Aquarium board? Would I have to stack the aquarium board on top of the open garden board?

Post subject: Re: Open Garden
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:31 am 

Hello morbious,

the solar panels in Open Garden nodes are not made to work indoor, they have only been tested and designed to work outdoors with sunlight.

Yes, you can replace the soil moisture sensor, the input is an analog to digital converter that you can use for your sensor.

You can choose up to 3 elements for irrigation: water pumps and solenoid valves.For example 1 solenoid valves and 2 water pump. You can also connect a peristalic pump from Open Aquarium in Open Garden in a irrigation connector, but it's not implemented in the library. As both Open Aquarium and Open Garden are open source you can take the functions that you want from both.

Our 433 MHz transmitter is designed to work with standard distances within a home, or in a garden, and you may have problems with a 10 inch concrete wall.

We haven't tested our sensors with longer wires, but you shouldn't have problems if the distances are not excessive, you can try and tell us in the forum.

Regards.

Post subject: Re: Open Garden Indoor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:01 pm 

Thank you for your responses. I am not clear on some of them...

"You can also connect a peristalic pump from Open Aquarium in Open Garden in a irrigation connector, but it's not implemented in the library."

Perhaps I was not clear on this. The two peristaltic pumps would not be used for irrigation but would be used to control the pH of the nutrient solution. This is a critical procedure in Hydroponics. You have this ability in OpenAquarium but not in Open Garden. Can I stack the OpenAquarium Board on top of the OpenGarden board and use the peristaltic connectors on the Aquarium board to perform this function?

"Our 433 MHz transmitter is designed to work with standard distances within a home, or in a garden, and you may have problems with a 10 inch concrete wall."

Can you please define, "standard distances." 10 feet, 25 feet, 50 feet? I understand this would be an approximation.

We haven't tested our sensors with longer wires, but you shouldn't have problems if the distances are not excessive, you can try and tell us in the forum.

Can you please define, "not excessive." Would you consider 6 to 8 feet excessive?

And my last question was unanswered. How well does 433 MHz perform in a high RF interference environment? Interference from light ballasts in a grow room can be substantial.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:46 am 

Hello morbious,

you don't need Open Aquarium to control a peristaltic pump, moreover, they are not compatible together. However you can connect peristaltic pumps in "Electrovalves/Motors connector"

The RF module is RFM12B, here is the datasheet for more information: http://www.hoperf.com/upload/rf/RFM12B.pdf
In our test we have transmitted about 25-30 meter indoors.

We have not tested and we do not recommend lengthening the probe cables, so we can help you with this question. Likewise we have not tested RFM12B in a high RF interference environment, only in a house environment.

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:53 pm 

Thanks again for responses. Just for final clarification. Your first answer to my question:

For the DHT22 sensor and the soil moisture sensor, can the connecting wires be longer than you provide? I would like to place the solar panel and the humidity/temperature sensor ABOVE the plant and not at soil level. How much longer can they be made? The tops of the plants can be as much as 6 feet above the top of the soil.

was;

your second answer was;

We have not tested and we do not recommend lengthening the probe cables, so we can help you with this question. Likewise we have not tested RFM12B in a high RF interference environment, only in a house environment.

Which answer should I consider final? What are the possible consequences to making the probe wires longer? Damage to the components? Unreliable readings? Other?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:03 am 

Hi morbious,

morbious wrote:
Which answer should I consider final? What are the possible consequences to making the probe wires longer? Damage to the components? Unreliable readings? Other?

No, you won't damage the components, but you have to think that a wire is like an antenna, the longest it is, maybe more noise you will get and maybe you will get more unreliable readings.

Regards

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]