Libelium is offering new technical support channels, to contact with de Technical Support team to solve any issue our doubt please contact with your sales agent or visit our contact site

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Fidling around with the 3G + GPS shield for raspberry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:44 pm 

Hi

I just bought the 3G + GPS shield for my Raspberry 2. and are currently working with it. I've gotten the sim module working (can send SMS). And i can communicate with the GPS module. However I am trying to get the Assisted sGPS to work but cant seem to get anywhere.

I am using the tutorial from
https://www.cooking-hacks.com/documenta ... rial#step9

and pasted the code from there into my program

when i run it i get

Starting...

START

+STIN: 25

+STIN: 25

+CPIN: SIM PIN
AT
OK
AT+CPIN=****
OK
Connecting to the network...
AT+CREG?
+CREG: 0,1
Succesfully connected to the network
AT+CGSOCKCONT=1,"IP","internet"
OK
AT+CGPSURL="supl.google.com:7276"
OK
AT+CGPSSSL=0
OK
AT+CGPS=1,2
OK
GPS session started
AT+CGPSINFO
+CGPSINFO:
No GPS data available
AT+CGPSINFO
+CGPSINFO:

and it just continues without any GPS data.

I am indoor but i would have guess that the assisted feature would at least give an approximated location

is there som commands to see the signal strength of the 3G and GPS module and see number of satellites found ect. ?

Regards
Anders

Post subject: Re: Fidling around with the 3G + GPS shield for raspberry
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:00 am 

Hi Ephreal,

Ephreal wrote:
I am indoor but i would have guess that the assisted feature would at least give an approximated location

We are sorry but the GPS only shows data when it is outside. Inside a building it can't connect.

Ephreal wrote:
is there som commands to see the signal strength of the 3G and GPS module and see number of satellites found ect. ?

No, if you want to see this type of data, maybe you can enter to the module using the miniUSB of the shield and see the full data of the module.

Try it outside and tell us.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:03 pm 

Quote:
We are sorry but the GPS only shows data when it is outside. Inside a building it can't connect.

Oh. Sorry to ask a dumb question but Why? Though its my only reference, the GPS in my phone works fine indoor.

But ill try it outside.

Quote:
No, if you want to see this type of data, maybe you can enter to the module using the miniUSB of the shield and see the full data of the module.

Is it possible to connect a usb cable from the raspberry to the GPS module and get the information through that ?. IE are there any software for the raspberry(Linux) which supports this

Edit:
I found this https://www.cooking-hacks.com/skin/fron ... manual.pdf
where the AT command AT+CSQ will give me the signal strength i will try this at home.

Regards
Anders

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:47 am 

Hi Ephreal,

Ephreal wrote:
Oh. Sorry to ask a dumb question but Why? Though its my only reference, the GPS in my phone works fine indoo

Global navigation satellite systems (GPS or GNSS) are generally not suitable to establish indoor locations, since microwaves will be attenuated and scattered by roofs, walls and other objects. Normally your phone, remember your last GPS position and then use your Phone network and your wifi to establish an approximate position.

Ephreal wrote:
Is it possible to connect a usb cable from the raspberry to the GPS module and get the information through that ?. IE are there any software for the raspberry(Linux) which supports this

Here you have got a tutorial to use the 3g module like a modem, via the USB, it is very similar:

http://www.cooking-hacks.com/skin/front ... torial.pdf

Remember that if you use the shield via the usb, you can't use a sketch. You need to send the commands manually.

Ephreal wrote:
Edit:
where the AT command AT+CSQ will give me the signal strength i will try this at home.

We haven't tried this AT command, try it and tell us.

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:32 am 

Quote:
Here you have got a tutorial to use the 3g module like a modem, via the USB, it is very similar:

http://www.cooking-hacks.com/skin/front ... torial.pdf

Remember that if you use the shield via the usb, you can't use a sketch. You need to send the commands manually.

This looks like that your just sending AT commands to it through the USB instead (using some terminal application). Is that right?. and if so i can connect it to the USB port of my raspi instead of using the GPIO's?

Quote:
Ephreal wrote:
Edit:

We haven't tried this AT command, try it and tell us.

Works somewhat. i tested it without simcard installed and it return a valid value of 99 which indicates that it cannot resolve the signal (which makes sense since it cant connect without sim card)

So i guess that command works. I would also guess most if not all commands works both in GPio's mode and USB mode unless you have limited it to a subset which would make no sense to do.
But i need to run a full test tonight or tomorrow

regards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:29 am 

Hi Ephreal,

Ephreal wrote:
This looks like that your just sending AT commands to it through the USB instead (using some terminal application). Is that right?. and if so i can connect it to the USB port of my raspi instead of using the GPIO's?

Exact, it is for sending commands manually. Like in gateway mode.

Ephreal wrote:
So i guess that command works. I would also guess most if not all commands works both in GPio's mode and USB mode unless you have limited it to a subset which would make no sense to do.
But i need to run a full test tonight or tomorrow

All the commands work in gateway mode and with a sketch :)

Regards!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]