Libelium is offering new technical support channels, to contact with de Technical Support team to solve any issue our doubt please contact with your sales agent or visit our contact site

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 17   [ 161 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Radiation Sensor Board for Arduino
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 am 

Hello,
Thank you for this nice project.

I am interested in the radiation sensor board for arduino, specially the idea of opening the schematics.

I read your article on the wireless Geiger counters, and before ordering I need to ask:

Can I use this radiation sensor board with other mote platforms instead of Waspmote

I need to send the GM reading via WSN using the TI CC2530 which I already have.

- What kind of interface i need to connect the sensor board to the Mote?
- What is the type of digital o/p from the board to the Waspmote, is it Hex file?

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:35 pm 

-- update The board works fine - just switch on the slider switch at the side. Sorry for the noise :(

I just got the latest board together with the geiger tube and had it set up in no time. The geiger tube has positive and negative markings on the tube. The positive of the tube was connected to the positive mark on the board.

The problem - CPM is always zero;

I tried to switch on a slider switch on the side - it only gives an annoying continuous high pitch sound. Am I doing something wrong (connecting the tube the wrong way) or is something wrong with the new boards and tubes.

I am using an Arduino DueMilanove. The power supply is a USB cable attached to a laptop computer

Last edited by saji_nh on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:39 am 

Update - It works, but produces an ear-splitting static noise
------------------------------------------------------------------
It worked after I switched on the slider switch on the side. When I did this from home, it made an ear-splitting static noise and I was forced to switch it off.

After I came to my office I could try with the switch on and it is producing what seems to be numbers of the expected magnitude.

Does any one have ideas on how to remove the static noise produced by the buzzer?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:52 am 

the buzzer noise was experienced on only one of the two units that I purchased. I damped the noise by putting a small light object on the top of the buzzer. After a while the buzzer noise went away (magically)!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:44 pm 

today i got the radiation sensor board. It came with the GM-tube J305. It has to be switched on by a small switch located over the green led. Arduino software is not needed.

The speaker made a loud noisy background sound for about 20 minutes while i could hear the real sound of the detected radiation mixed with the background sound. After 20 minutes the noisy background sound faded away and only the correct realistic sound of the counts remains....like saji_nh posted before.

The red led is blinking properly when a particle is detected. So thats ok.

Unfortunately the lcd does not show any counts per minutes and stayes black. I drew the lcd off of the board and put it onto the board again, but still no display of the counts. You have to do this:
I loaded the source code from the tutorial and also the arduino software. Then copied the text of the source code to the editor of the arduino software and uploaded it to the board. After that i got the counts displayed properly.

I will buy a bulb emitting uv-light to test the vaseline glass beads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 pm 

Too much tension, SMB-20 in saturated with 500V
-
Parameters: SBM-20 / SBM-20U
Minimum Anode Resistor (meg ohm): 1.0
Recommended Anode Resistor (meg ohm): 5.1
Recommended Operating Voltage (volts) : 400
Operating Voltage Range (volts): 350 - 475
Initial voltage (volts): 260 - 320
Plateau length (volts): at least 100
Maximum Plateau Slope (%/100 volts): 10
Minimum Dead Time (at U=400V, micro sec): 190
Working range (mkR/s): 0.004 - 40
Working range (mR/h): 0.014 - 144
Gamma Sensitivity Ra226 (cps/mR/hr): 29
Gamma Sensitivity Co60 (cps/mR/hr): 22
Inherent counter background (cps): 1
Tube Capacitance (pf): 4.2
Life (pulses): at least 2*1010
Weight (grams): 10 / 9
http://youtu.be/cxINkV19bJc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:43 am 

Krrris wrote:
today i got the radiation sensor board. It came with the GM-tube J305. It has to be switched on by a small switch located over the green led. Arduino software is not needed.

The speaker made a loud noisy background sound for about 20 minutes while i could hear the real sound of the detected radiation mixed with the background sound. After 20 minutes the noisy background sound faded away and only the correct realistic sound of the counts remains....like saji_nh posted before.

The background sound is present only in some of the units. For me, it came back to haunt the next time I switched on the board (i plan to disable the buzzer to get rid of this annoyance)

Quote:
I loaded the source code from the tutorial and also the arduino software. Then copied the text of the source code to the editor of the arduino software and uploaded it to the board. After that i got the counts displayed properly.

Two things to be careful.
    The ratio between CPM and Micro Sievert per hour is different for different tubes. I am waiting for cooking hacks to post the new ratio. Without using the correct ratio, the numbers could be misleading

The code outputs CPM based on a 10 second sample. It would be better to recalculate based on a much longer time period, say a few minutes. There is a strong element of randomness in that there is always a chance that only a percentage of the radioactive rays pass through the tube and get counted. Hence the rate fluctuates on short time periods. After sampling for a longer time, say 5 minutes, one should calculate and make use of the statistics such as mean, minimum, maximum and standard deviation to make the best use of the information provided by the device. For me this is the advantage of having my own programmable device

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:27 pm 

Hi all,
can you please help me?
I've got a brand new board and I've attached to it an STS-5 that I own original (and well tested) it comes with original manual in russian:

Voltage: 390V
Plateau: 80V
Slope: 0.125% 1V
Natural Background CPM: 27

I carefully attached the tube to the board, after turning the shield on there was a terrible noise that now is lower in volume but the CPM is constantly over 200 pulses, radiation level LEDs are out of scale (all reds turned on) and the tube appears to be totally insensible to the vaseline beads (actually I've received some glass pearls, but probably is the same), the buzzer.. buzz but the rate is not affected at all after surrounding it with vaseline beads. What can I do with the noise? And what can I do to bring the CPM back to normal values? There are not even nuclear plants in my country so I'd expect to hear only the background noise :).

Thanx a lot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:36 am 

Dear all,

The radiation board is configured for the J305β Tube, that works with 370V

We've updated the tutorial with the tube information => http://www.cooking-hacks.com/index.php/ ... nsor-board

If you need to modify the voltage, you can change this capacitor

1 uF => 370V
2.2 uF => 400V
10 uF => 500V

Take care with the polarity of the capacitor!!!

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm 

@libelium-dev
Many thanks for the reply.
You write:
Quote:
High voltage power supply

For the high voltage power supply we use a circuit based on an oscillator connected to a voltage multiplier made with diodes, transistors, resistors and capacitors (see schematic for detail). With this circuit we get a power of 500V in the tube. We've added a line of zener diodes connected in series that can be used if we need more than 500V for powering the tube. We'll add as volts to the output as volts in zener diodes we add.

How to do this?

Regards
Luigi

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 17   [ 161 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next