This is a project made for all mountain lovers. As you know, mountain sports are more than a walk. You need some experience and preparation to enjoy them safely. In this sense, it is strongly recommended to be located and monitored all the time.
The aim of this project carried out by Cooking Hacks team is to develop a device capable to measure different biometric parameters, using some sensors compatible with our e-Health sensor board and send these data in real time to a receiver by means of a LoRa and 3G/GPRS wireless connection. It is ready to use during exercise or with a person who has suffered an accident in a remote and hard-to-reach place. The scope of this project is the sports medicine.
- SX1272 LoRa and Multiprotocol: it is the main communication module.
- 3G + GPS module: it is the secondary communication source. It is possible to improve this communication source using our 4G + GPS Shield for Arduino or 4G + GPS Shield for Raspberry Pi.
- Battery Li-Ion: it has a capacity of 4400 mAh.
- Solar Charger Shield v2: it is designed for Arduino platform to recharge the battery.
- Flexible Solar Panel: it is the way to ensure the device autonomy during its use outdoor.
- Sensors: Air Flow sensor to measure the breathing, Galvanic Skin Response Sensor (GSR) to measure the sweating, Accelerometer to measure the patient position, Pulse and Oxygen in Blood Sensor (SPO2) and Body Temperature Sensor.
- TFT LCD 2.2ā screen: to visualize the sensors info.
All of these components are assembled in a board made on purpose and put inside a case to ensure the device protection. Besides, this device is ready to be carried in a backpack.
Sensors connection diagram
Finally, the project was tested to know its consumption and its coverage. The battery duration with LoRa connection is around 17.5 hours with a 250 mAh average consumption. With 3G and GPS connection the battery duration is around 6.5 hours with a 667 mAh average consumption. After the coverage test, we observed that this device could send data up to 21 km from the transmitter and the receiver.
Visit the tutorial for knowing how to develop this Autonomous Biometric sensor device for a Real-time Mountain Climber Monitoring using e-Health Sensor Platform for Arduino and Raspberry Pi.
This project brings to light that the Autonomous Biometric Sensor Device with Remote Monitoring in Real Time with e-Health sensor platform is one of the best ways to monitor a person doing exercise during hours, controlling his vital signs from a checkpoint located kilometers away.