The RN-XV module by Roving Networks is a certified Wi-Fi solution especially designed for customer who want to migrate their existing 802.15.4 architecture to a standard TCP/IP based platform without having to redesign their existing hardware.
The RN-XV module is based upon Roving Networks' robust RN-171 Wi-Fi module and incorporates 802.11 b/g radio, 32 bit processor, TCP/IP stack, real-time clock, crypto accelerator, power management unit and analog sensor interface.
The RN-XV module supports infrastructure networking for worldwide internet access directly by every node and adhoc connectivity for fully connected point to point networks, unlike many 802.15.4 implementations that need extensive, custom application profiles and additional bridging products. The RN-XVee supports industrial temperature ranges, making it ideal for applications such as sensor networks, industrial or commercial controllers, utility meters and M2M applications.
The module offers additional functionality through its onboard programmable GPIOs (8) and ADCs (3). The ADCs provide 14-bit resolution while the GPIOs can be configured to provide standard functionality or status signaling to a host microcontroller to reduce the need for serial polling between the Wi-Fi module and host microcontroller.
The module is pre-loaded with Roving firmware to simplify integration and minimize development time of your application. In the simplest configuration, the hardware only requires four connections (PWR, TX, RX and GND) to create a wireless data connection.
Developers can opt to use the RN-174 evaluation board for prototyping and designing their Wi-Fi systems based on the RN-XVee. The RN-174-K kit includes the RN-171 module mounted on a carrier board with status LEDs, power regulation, and a serial link to a PC.
- Direct Internet connectivity provides internet access to every node
- Point to point connectivity to every node without the need for custom profiles
- Based on common 802.15.4 footprint
- Ultra low power: 4uA sleep mode, 38mA active
- Onboard TCP/IP stack includes DHCP, UDP, DNS, ARP, ICMP, HTTP client, FTP client and TCP
- Firmware configurable transmit power: 0dBm to 12dBm
- Hardware interfaces:TTL UART
- Host data rate up to 464Kbps over UART
- Supports Adhoc and infrastructure networking
- 8 general purpose digital I/O
- 3 analog sensor inputs
- Real-time clock for time-stamping, auto-sleep, and auto-wakeup modes
- Accepts 3.3VDC regulated power supply
- Configuration over UART or wireless interface (via Telnet) using simple ASCII commands
- Over the air firmware upgrade (FTP)
- Secure WiFi authentication: WEP, WPA-TKIP , WPA2-AES