GPRS/GSM Quadband Module for Arduino (SIM900) offers GPRS connection to your Arduino board.
It includes the SIM900 communication module from SIMCom. It is necessary an antenna in order to establish a communication.
You can send SMS, make calls or create TCP and UDP sockets in order to send the information to the Internet. HTTP and FTP protocols are also available in order to send the information to the cloud directly from your Arduino.
NOTE: The Arduino/Raspberry Pi jumper MUST be in Arduino position. The Raspberry Pi position should be used only if the shield is connected to a Raspberry Pi. A wrong position of this jumper can damage the GPRS shield.
Differences between SIM900 and HiLo Modules
- GPRS_Pro performs the same actions that GPRS module (some functions had been enhanced) and new functions has been added such as multiconnection for TCP/IP and UDP/IP clients, audio control or operator selection.
- Regarding power consumption it has been reduced from 56µA to 30µA in power down mode (GPRS_OFF power mode).
- The SIM900 module improves TCP/IP and UDP/IP connections adding new features such as TCP/IP server and multiconnection mode that allows up to 8 TCP/UDP clients or up to 7 TCP/UDP clients and 1 TCP/IP server. Extra functions such as autosending timer, add IP headers, setting DNS servers,... have been added.
- Also uploading and downloading functions have been upgraded to allow to select the origin and destiny folder into the SD card and FTP server.
- New functions allow to manage speaker level, Calling Line Identification (CLI) , mute, call alert. Also GSM/GPRS operator connection can be managed with functions such as get current operator, set preferred operator list, get cell information.
If you need information of our old HiLo GPRS Quadband Module, you can check it here. Note than both are using the same breakout board so we have had to modify it to be compatible with the new SIM900 module, adding a diode in the voltage regulator.
NOTE: If you are looking for a complete GPRS+GPS Solution, don't hesitate to visit our GPRS+GPS Quadband Module for Arduino/Raspberry Pi (SIM908).